Monday, May 29, 2017

Physics and Figuring Skating: How Are They Related?





Abstract

When figure skaters are on the ice, one can see that they spin faster when they hold their arms to their bodies rather than when their arms are extended. Do you ever wonder why that happens? In order to understand how figure skaters are able to move so swiftly at some times but slowly at others, it is important to understand the role which physics plays in the sport. Throughout my paper I will explain how figure skaters are effected by physical principles, such as rotational inertia. My paper will start with a background explaining some of the most common figure skating moves. Then, it will go into how each of those moves is affected by the physics concepts we learned throughout the year, such as angular momentum and friction.


6 comments:

  1. Very detailed Google Drawing Kiran. Also your abstract is very informative, can't wait to see how rotational inertia effects figure skating during your presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post to be very informative! I am intrigued to learn about how figure skaters include physics into their practice. I find the spinning of figure skaters to be magnificent! How they spin so quick and long for is a mystery for me, however you make it clear that physics plays a key role in figure skaters' skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice project Kiran! like how you explained the topic, it was very thorough, i like how you related the inertia effects of figure skating into your explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your google drawing Kiran! Your information about rotational inertia is both informative and interesting. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so intrigued by the information you you put forward about the physics of figure skating. I notice that there are a lot of things such as angular momentum and friction that go into figure skating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great project! I found it very interesting and informative. It's intriguing to learn how physics plays a major role in ice skating. I also really like your google drawing.

    ReplyDelete