Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Physics of Figure Skating


Abstract:
This paper investigates the physics that allow the motions and moves of figure skating to exist. Starting with its origin in Finland the paper explores how ice skating change from a form of transportation to an artistic sport. It covers the main principles that allow skating including friction and inertia. It then covers the more advanced topics that allow what is now considered as figure skating. Angular momentum and projectile motion allow throws and spins. When you understand conservation of momentum you can work to maximize your number of spins and your velocity. This paper will explain how figure skating is possible through multiple physical principles. Without understanding the principles of physics it can be difficult to fully understand and appreciate the beautiful moves in skating. Information from this paper comes from multiple sources that can be found in the works cited page.


7 comments:

  1. Steph, proud of your work. The animated Gifs made the project interesting to look at, while your content was great too! I especially liked the part about Newton's third law, that every action has an equal opposite reaction. I can see how this would apply in skating. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Steph great job! I always knew there was a lot of physics in skating, but I never knew there was this much. Great job with all of the research, I learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very cool project that taught me a lot about figure skating. Your image was very interesting and added a very nice visual component to your presentation. I didn't realize how much inertia affects a figure skater! Thanks for teaching me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Steph, love the picture! I found this very interesting because I had no idea how much physics there was i figure skating. I learned a lot from this such as that inertia effects components of figure skating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture was so cool, after watching Jordan's presentation on ice hockey in class it was cool to see the different ways that physics effects figure skating and hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project, Steph! I didn't realize how much figure skating relies on principles of physics. Also, cool drawing!

    ReplyDelete