Tuesday, May 23, 2017

The Physics Of Golf

Slides:
https://docs.google.com/a/stamfordpublicschools.org/presentation/d/1stUKbq5s2hN7bNBvIO3BXrM1h955zxkAGunLQA0ZP9A/edit?usp=sharing

Document:
https://docs.google.com/a/stamfordpublicschools.org/document/d/1itflXIm_Hk1qzjMGRY_oj7UWjaP_kyQtT-EJTZEQfFQ/edit?usp=sharing

NOTE TO VIEWER: You must be logged in to your Stamford Public Schools Account in order to view my slides and article! Just copy and paste it and you should be good! Hope you enjoy your learning experience.


Abstract:
Golf is a game that requires not only a lot of physical skill, but requires a lot of knowledge on the topic of physics. We will get more into the details in the actual paper, but the ball is hit in an elastic collision, in which the ball is bounced off the club in order to be hit further. Using the basic equation F = Ma, the more you accelerate the clubhead or swing it fast, the further the ball will go. Also, applying the concepts of torque, your ball will go further if you take a full swing, use a longer length club, and swing harder. But golf isn't all about the aggression, but finesse as well. One must hit the ball perfectly square so it goes straight, rather than way left or right. Golf requires a lot of skill and practice, and applying the concepts of physics, you can improve at the game of golf.

11 comments:

  1. The idea that the physical position of getting ready to hit the golf ball is interesting because I never knew how much it really took to precisely hit the ball in the direction you want. It's more than just swinging it with the stick, it involves the right mentality and physicality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow i really learned a lot about the physics of golf. I agree with Marina. The content in this blog post is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris, I bet you'll be the next Tiger Woods with all that physics knowledge. I'm sure taking a larger swing will increase my torque and help with my long game. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good job with the research. I learned a lot about the physics in golf. Who knew how much torque was in golf!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the correlation between the degree of travel and the displacement very insightful. If I ever go to play golf I will try to keep my swing right on the mark! I was also surprised to find out that a golf ball generally leaves with a velocity of around 50 meters per second!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this very insightful because I didn't know golf was so meticulously related to physics! Your visual representation helped me understand more clearly! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good research! I never knew torque was used in golf.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow great presentation! I never new how cruical torque and the degree of travel was for an accurate shot in golf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool presentation! It was interesting to understand how a certain stance can affect the acceleration of the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool presentation, the coolest part was the fact that a great golf protege like you presented this topic, very inspirational

    ReplyDelete