Sunday, May 28, 2017

Physics in Tennis

Rohith Naralasetty
AP Physics 1

Abstract: 

Tennis is a game that is forever changing based on the slightest change in physics. A rule as simple as changing the way strings were woven spurred a mass exodus from the traditional continental grip of holding the racquet to things like the semi-western. We will cover the most important parts of physics in Tennis, such as Newton's Laws of Motion, Gravity, Drag, and Impulse, and see how they interact with different shots.

5 comments:

  1. Rohith Boy, good work here. I liked the part about the impulse, and especially the part about the backspin. When I play tennis, I will make sure I take into account the factors of your presentation. Nice job here. I like that backspin. Tennis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the very intellectual presentation on tennis. As a former sucky tennis player, I personally didn't realize the amount of Physics behind each type of hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job on this paper! I play tennis and I enjoyed learning about the Magnus effect and how it affects tennis balls. When I play I often slice the ball, but I've never really understood why the ball moved the way it did when I sliced the ball vs. just hitting the ball in a flat way. Now I know it's due to the magnus effect and different air pressure areas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent presentation. Great description of each time of hit and the physics behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoops I meant type.

    ReplyDelete