Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Physics Behind Gymnastics

Works Cited

Abstract 

Gymnastics is a highly competitive sport, demanding strong skills in speed, strength and agility from relatively young athletes. While the extreme tumbling passes and balance may be considered impossible for any average person, basic laws of gravity and force presented through the principles of physics, explains why gymnasts are able to execute these tricks safely and accurately each time. In this paper, basic apparatuses are covered through their relation to specific physics concepts. First, comes the relation of Newton’s laws regarding force, acceleration, and motion through the uneven bars and balance beam. Then, the paper will explore how angular momentum and torque allows for the proper rotation that is demanded in the vault apparatus and is also demonstrated during floor routines. Through these explanations, the seemingly unfeasible events become easier to understand through basic physics concepts.

Research Paper

Google Slides 

Gymnast McKayla Maroney sticks the landing on her Amanar at the 2012 London Olympics, using the power of torque and angular momentum to perfect her vault! 





15 comments:

  1. Nice job! Your presentation was very informative. Gymnastics looks like a really hard sport, especially when you mentioned the relation of physics to the balance beam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bri!!! Wow! This is so cool! I especially like your visuals & it looks like you worked really hard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous project I'd say! I absolutely enjoyed your explanations of the abundance of physics applied to gymnastics. I especially took my pleasure in reading your slides about the many different activities in gymnastics such as the balance beam and vault!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top notch pal! I never thought gymnastics was a sport, and now I still think that! At least you got some circular motion or something in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought that gymnastics was just jumping around on bouncy mats, but now I realize that a lot of work is needed to preform those spins and jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!! the fact that you can figure out the physics in gymnastics and explain in detail is actually really cool. nice research bri!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very informative project. I really enjoyed learning about how physics applies to such an interesting sport. I really like your visuals and explanations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! I enjoyed your explanation of physics applied to gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, Brianna! You described the physics of gymnastics in such great depth and I learned a lot about how the physical concepts are related to the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great presentation, this really explained how all the moves in gymnastics are possible. It's interesting to learn that a lot of work goes into look graceful like a fast run and reduced radius when flipping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always been interested in gymnastics because some moves just look so impossible! Thanks to your presentation I finally have some more insight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this project is really good! I read all about the physics and gymnastics and learned more! Your project was insightful and showed all the laws of physics in this sport.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great presentation! This one was definitely one of my favorites to read about. I was really interesting to read about how gymnastics can be related to physics. Loved how you included concepts such as angular momentum, torque, and acceleration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading your presentation and seeing your visuals on the physics involved in gymnastics. Beautiful project and it was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed looking at your project! I liked all the visuals you added to help show the physics in gymnastics!

    ReplyDelete