Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Physics of Dance


For this project, I decided to study certain dance moves and find their relations to the concepts we learned throughout the year in physics. I used specific steps from ballet, a dance that I have done myself for years. It was really interesting to see that physics can be applied to real-life situations and movements I do almost everyday. For this project, I will study the movements of three different dance moves, pirouette turns, grand jetés, and finally, fouetté turns. A pirouette turn challenges the concepts of angular momentum, using one’s momentum of inertia multiplied by the rate of spin. Grand jetés are associated with horizontal and vertical motion, as well as center of gravity. Fouetté turns deal with perpetual motion and momentum.

Written Work:


Works Cited:

The Physicist Who Figured Out Ballet. (n.d.). Retrieved from     http://discovermagazine.com/2008/the-body/     11-the-physicist-who-figured-out-ballet

Ice Skating Resources [Blog post]. (n.d.). Retrieved from     http://iceskatingresources.org/physicsballet.pdf

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing so much knowledge with me. I didn't know most of it and now i do. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your step by step analysis of each of the dance turns is riveting. Excellent job and beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative project. I like how you explained different dance moves step by step. I really learned a lot about how physics plays a role in dance. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you explained how physics ties into dance is really good! This was an informative and insightful project. I learned a lot reading this and realized there is a lot of physics in dancing.

    ReplyDelete